About Dr. Kirkland
Dr. Karl Kirkland is a Forensic Consultant with MPA LEGAL, the Forensic Services division of Montgomery Psychiatry & Associates (MPA).
MPA LEGAL is located in Montgomery, Alabama.
Dr. Kirkland joined the staff at MPA in 2016 after 36 years of private practice as a Psychologist.
At MPA LEGAL, Dr. Kirkland provides Forensic Services for Civil and Criminal cases.
His specialty areas of consultation include:
- Personal Injury Law
- Forensic Evaluation
- Case Law Review
- Epidemiological and Base Rate Research
- Sentencing & Risk Management Assessment
Education & Training
Dr. Kirkland's educational background includes a PhD in Counseling Psychology from the University of Southern Mississippi, an MA in General Psychology from the University of West Florida, and a BA in Philosophy from Auburn University.
He also completed an Internship in Clinical Psychology at LSU Medical School (Department of Psychiatry).
Professional Activites & Community Service
Dr. Kirkland keeps a busy schedule.
Over the years, he has been an active participant in professional organizations like the American Psychological Association, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, and Society of Teachers in Family Medicine.
Additionally, he served on the Board of Directors for St. James School and Catholic Social Services, as well as coached a girl's basketball team in the YMCA.
Scholarly Work, Research & Essays
Over his long carreer, Dr. Kirkland has been a prolific writer and researcher.
To date, he has authored or co-authored more than 40 essays and scholarly articles covering a broad range of topics related to mental health, human behavior, and the law.
His work is published in several print and online periodicals, including peer-reviewed journals like The Alabama Lawyer, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, Alabama Medicine: Journal of the Medical Association of the State of Alabama, and Professional Psychology: Research and Practice.
His human interest stories can be found in magazines and newspapers like The Dead Mule Society of Southern Literature.
Titles of his work include:
- Efficacy of post-divorce mediation and evaluation services
- Quasi-judicial immunity for court-appointed mental health professionals
- Risk management and aspirational ethics for parental coordinators
- Anger control for Alabama lawyers
- The role of the forensic psychological evaluation in Rule 32 death row appeal cases
- “No Show Jones” and “Count No Count” : “Their A’int Nothing Better Once You’ve Had the Best”- The Best of the Southern Gothic Tradition
Dr. Kirkland has appeared as a speaker and presenter at numerous conferences and professional events covering topics such as mediation, addiction, and expert witness testimony.
- Current issues in criminal forensic psychology
- Battered woman syndrome and criminal responsibility
- Controlled chaos: Coping with the unique stress of family law practice
- Preparation of the expert witness in child custody
Honors & Achievements
Dr. Kirkland's past honors and achievements include:
- Member, Alabama Supreme Court Commission on Best Practices in Domestic Law
- Member, Alabama Supreme Court Commission on Dispute Resolution
- Chair, Alabama Board of Examiners in Psychology
- Member, Alabama Board of Examiners in Psychology
- Fellow, Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards
- President, Alabama Psychological Association
- Distinguished Professional Psychologist Award (1982), Alabama Psychological Association
- Member, State Professional Advisory Board - Victims of Crime & Leniency (VOCAL)
- Member, Juvenile Justice Reform Commission